McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC’s litigation practice is devoted to vigorous, intelligent advocacy for our public and private sector clients. We work closely with our clients to develop sensible litigation strategies that are cost-effective and designed to achieve the most favorable result.
Areas of Expertise
Our attorneys regularly appear in state, federal and administrative courts while handling a broad array of matters relating to the following areas:
- Public Sector – We represent public authorities and local governmental entities, including school districts, as counsel in all manner of representation. We provide zealous and proactive defenses in the relevant forums, and are always cognizant that, as stewards of the public trust, we must seek to achieve resolution in cost-effective and efficient ways.
- Redevelopment – Municipal actions undertaken to effectuate redevelopment are often met with legal challenges. Our litigation practice has extensive experience meeting and resolving those challenges.
- Construction/Public Works – We provide competent construction counsel to guide public construction projects through the many legal and practical considerations, including changes in the scope of work, cost overruns and delay, as well as litigation that often results from such issues.
- Public Entity Defense – We represent the interests of municipalities, government officials and law enforcement officers who have been named as defendants in State and federal civil rights actions (42 U.S.C § 1983) and Title 59 Tort Claims litigation.
- Environmental – We represent public entities and private clients in the defense of enforcement actions and cost recovery litigation before the USEPA, the NJDEP, the Office of Administrative Law (OAL), other federal and state regulatory agencies as well as in federal and state courts. We also pursue the recovery of costs associated with remediating contaminated property through private party environmental cost recovery actions and insurance coverage litigation.
- General Civil – We regularly represent private clients in a variety of general civil litigation matters. In all cases, the firm’s litigation attorneys seek to find efficient and cost-effective solutions to meet client needs.
- Insurance/Self-Insurance Defense – We provide counsel to national and regional insurance carriers, reinsurers, brokers, agents, intermediaries, self-insured companies and public entities. The Litigation practice assists our insurance industry clients to address coverage issues and disputes through coverage opinions, arbitration, mediation, and if necessary, declaratory judgment litigation.
- Commercial – This practice includes representation in cases involving contracts, guarantees, foreclosures, notes, fraudulent conveyances, lender liability issues, receiverships, and many other issues.
For more information about our Litigation practice, please contact William W. Northgrave at 973-622-1800.