The attorneys at McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC are widely recognized as leading experts in the area of redevelopment in the State of New Jersey. We have a solid track record helping to shepherd redevelopment projects – both large and small – from conception to completion. Recently, we have offered counsel on several major projects, including the Prudential Center in Newark, Boardwalk Pavilions in Asbury Park and Bayonne Crossing in Bayonne.
In addition, McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC has experience and expertise in a variety of land use and zoning matters, including matters arising under both the Municipal Land Use Law and the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law.
- Municipalities – Our attorneys have represented both small and large municipalities throughout the State, working on a variety of redevelopment projects, ranging from smaller downtown revitalization up to innovative, large-scale projects that serve as landmarks for the State.
- Private Sector Developers – We advise private sector developers who require assistance in navigating New Jersey’s complex redevelopment landscape in order to bring a project to fruition. Our representation also includes zoning and land use petitions to local bodies on behalf of our clients who require assistance.
A Full Suite of Services
Redevelopment projects often require legal advice in many areas. McManimon, Scotland & Baumann can offer leading expertise in all relevant areas of the law, including:
- General Redevelopment Counsel – Our attorneys can help you understand and navigate the entire redevelopment process to ensure full compliance with the law.
- Redevelopment Financing – Our firm can assist in taking advantage of the opportunities afforded by redevelopment by utilizing all of the financial tools available to public and private entities, including construction loans, Redevelopment Area Bond Financing (“RABs”), New Market Tax Credits, New Jersey Environmental Infrastructure Trust, public grants and loans, DEP Hazardous Discharge Site Remediation Fund, DEP Brownfields Reimbursement Programs, Urban Enterprise Zone loans and New Jersey Redevelopment Agency financing.
- Payments in Lieu of Taxes – Our ability to address the pros and cons of short- and long-term tax exemptions is essential to a redevelopment project. Financial resources such as payments in lieu of taxes or special assessments provide the financial incentives often necessary to make a redevelopment project successful and economically feasible.
- Land Use – Land use and zoning are integral components of any redevelopment project. We have assisted many clients on the land use requirements and practices that are critical to successful redevelopment and ensure compliance with the law.
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Litigation – Our attorneys have extensive experience in condemnation actions, including defending challenges to the power of public entities to condemn property, providing representation in property valuation proceedings before court-appointed commissioners and in jury trials before the Superior Court of New Jersey. . Our attorneys also have experience resolving environmental liabilities associated with condemned properties through companion cost recovery litigation on an as needed basis.
- Contaminated Property – Our attorneys have extensive experience in bringing environmentally-impaired properties back into productive use. We have helped navigate the redevelopment of scores of contaminated properties from environmental due diligence prior to acquisition, negotiation of obligations and potential liabilities between municipalities and redevelopers, and achieving cost-effective remediation.
- Real Estate Transactional – Our firm represents clients in the negotiation and preparation of complex contracts for conveyances of title, development agreements, easements, licenses, land use and occupancy agreements, brokerage and commission agreements, joint venture agreements, as well as all forms of partnership agreements and lease agreements, mortgages and security agreements. We have represented owners, developers, landlords, tenants and lenders in all aspects of real property matters, including commercial land acquisition, financing and development, zoning and planning issues, and related negotiation, transaction documentation and litigation.
For more information about our Redevelopment and Land Use practice, please contact Glenn F. Scotland or Joseph P. Baumann, Jr. at 973-622-1800.