McManimon, Scotland & Baumann, LLC, is widely recognized as one of the leading firms in redevelopment and development in the State of New Jersey. We have a proven track record of guiding residential, industrial, commercial and mixed-use projects – large and small – from conception, financing, acquisition, land use approvals, through leasing and sale.
As the acquisition and development of real estate in New Jersey often involves a number of facets, we approach each project from a client-centric team based perspective. We assemble attorneys from our various practice areas to address a client’s and project’s specific needs including creating new a business entity for the project, contract negotiations, land use approvals, redevelopment agreements, zoning ordinance / redevelopment plan amendments, environmental issues, condemnation, financing and when needed, litigation. Our finance group has extensive experience in low income housing tax credit (LIHTC) financing including creating the specialized entities and agreements required for LIHTC financing and works in close concert with the real estate and land use group on LIHTC financed projects. We also apply the same client-centric team based approach in coordinating with a project’s other professionals, such as engineers, architects, planners and financial institutions to provide a holistic and efficient delivery of a project from inception to completion.
- Real Estate Transactional – Our firm represents clients in the negotiation and preparation of complex contracts for conveyances of title, development agreements, easements, licenses, land use and occupancy agreements, brokerage and commission agreements, joint venture agreements, as well as all forms of business entity and investor agreements, lease agreements, mortgages and security agreements. We have represented owners, developers, landlords, tenants and lenders in all aspects of real property matters, including commercial land acquisition, resolving title issues, financing, tax credits/incentives, public-private partnerships, development, zoning and planning issues, and related negotiation, transaction documentation and litigation.
- Land Use –We have assisted a variety of clients on the land use requirements and practices that are critical to successful development and to ensure compliance, including matters arising under the Municipal Land Use Law, the Local Redevelopment and Housing Law and other land use regimes. We have appeared before planning boards, zoning boards of appeal, boards of adjustment, municipal governing bodies, and assisted clients in obtaining permits and approvals from state, county agencies and regional land use agencies, including: county planning boards, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority (formerly the Meadowlands Commission), the New Jersey Department of Transportation and the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. We have represented a wide range of client’s in land use related litigation including challenges to redevelopment areas, redevelopment plans, defend planning and zoning board approvals when challenged by objectors, and where clients are aggrieved by board decisions.
We have served as counsel and/or offered counsel on several major projects, including the Prudential Center in Newark, Boardwalk Pavilions and Oceanfront redevelopment in Asbury Park, Bayonne Crossing in Bayonne and the redevelopment of the former Ingersoll Rand brownfields site in Phillipsburg and Lopatcong Townships into an approximately 4 million square foot warehousing and logistics center.
Who We Serve
- Redevelopment Agencies
- Housing Authorities
- Private Sector Developers
- Real Estate SPE's
- Affordable Housing Developers
- From first time developers, to smaller family-owned developers to large well established developers and investors
- General Redevelopment/Development Counsel
- Real Estate Transactional
- Land Use
- Redevelopment/Development Financing
- Payments in Lieu of Taxes
- Eminent Domain and Condemnation Litigation
- Contaminated Property
For more information about our Real Estate and Land Use practice, please contact Karl Kemm at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-622-5166.